Angeline Bautista, Art 410, Fall 2010

Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Extended Body

This is myself, my physical body with interpretations of extensions outside of my physical self through technology.

This photo was manipulated through photoshop, and gathering of images.  Each modified element in this photo has a symbolic meaning, it represents my relationship to technology and how it enables me to reach far beyond my fleshy capabilities.  The "hair" is actually a bunch of wires, cables, cords, the lifeline that connects technology to each other and to is source of power, electricity.  It shows how we are always connected, and is a source of it's life, much like the umbilical cord and the baby in humans.  The mouth, is covered by a screen, as through technology, sound is possible thought not necessary, humans contact each other mostly through voice and hearing, but with machines communication happens through non-verbal code, no sound is produced nor received.  The screen, instead of voicing messages, displays words, like communication over the Internet is through words.  Even emotions and tone of voice is interpreted through the use of syntax and punctuation marks, for example " :) " to represent a smile, and ALL CAPS to represent yelling or anger.  The glowing eye, is the glow of a screen, constantly absorbing all the I see.  Lastly, the world around me has become so digitized, I represented that by pixelating the area around me, including my boyfriend, whom I can also be with both virtually and in reality.


This is me in the real world, with my boyfriend being all ghostly behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment